|What's New in Views of the Solar System|
October 15, 1997
October 7, 1997
October 6, 1997
September 29, 1997
September 25, 1997
September 24, 1997
September 22, 1997
September 19, 1997
September 18, 1997
September 17, 1997
September 16, 1997
September 15, 1997
September 12, 1997
September 11, 1997
September 10, 1997
Previous New Releases
- A new Hubble Space Telescope image of
was added on 9/9/97.
- An animation of Triton
was added on 9/4/97.
- Topographic maps of Vesta and
Proteus were added on 9/3/97.
- Two excellent animations of Mars' moons Phobos
and Deimos were added on 9/3/97.
- VRML models of The Face on Mars,
Ida and Gaspra
were added on 8/29/97.
- Topographic maps of Prometheus,
Epimetheus were added on 8/28/97.
- A high-resolution Feature map of Io
was added on 8/27/97.
- Topographic maps of Gaspra,
Toutatis were added on 8/27/97.
- Topographic maps of Amalthea,
Phobos were added on 8/26/97.
- I have created the Monster Mosaic of the
Viking Lander 2 site. This is the highest
resolution mosaic of the Viking Lander 2 site that has ever been created.
- A more complete index of Pathfinder Images
was added on 7/11/97.
- A high-resolution mosaic image of Phobos,
a moon of Mars, was added on 7/8/97.
- Selected Images from Mars Pathfinder
were added on 7/8/97.
- Additonal images of Ariel, a moon of Uranus,
were added on 5/5/97.
- An Mercator Map of Ariel, a moon of Uranus,
was added on 4/23/97.
- An image of Io's Sodium Cloud was added
- A Venus Topography Map was added
- A Martian Topography Map was added
- An albedo image map of Umbriel was added
- A press release on "New Images Hint at Wet and Wild
History For Europa", along with seven new
Galileo Images of Europa were added on 4/14/97.
- Several maps and images of Titania were added
- A map and color image of Oberon were added
- Two maps of Neptune's moon Triton were added
- A new mosaic of Neptune's moon Triton was added
- A press release on "Thought-Provoking Imagery
Shows Sun's Place in the Galaxy" along with some video clips were added on 3/21/97.
- An excellent map of Jupiter's moon Europa was added
on 3/17/97. This map was prepared by A. Tayfun Oner.
- An excellent map of Jupiter's moon Io was added
on 3/14/97. This map was prepared by A. Tayfun Oner.
- The Pluto page was updated with one of the first maps ever made of
Charon. In addition, an animation
of Pluto was added. The map
and animation were created by A.Tayfun Oner based on pictures
courtesy of Marc Buie of Lowell Observatory. (3/13/97)
- An animation of Pluto's moon Charon
was added on 2/21/97.
- An image of sulfur dioxide distribution on Io
was added on 1/23/97.
- Two images of Triton and Neptune
were added on 1/23/97.
- A page of Additional Galileo Images of Europa
was added on 1/21/97.
- A press release on
Ice Volcanoes Reshape Europa's Chaotic Surface
was added on 1/17/97.
- Several GIF animations of Phobos,
were added on 1/14/97.
- An animation of Halley's Comet,
was added on 1/14/97.
- An animation of Phobos,
was added on 1/7/97.
- A quicktime move of The Sounds From Ganymede,
was added on 12/24/96.
- A press release New Discoveries From Galileo,
was added on 12/24/96.
- Additional Galileo images of Callisto,
were added on 12/17/96.
- A Galileo image of Callisto,
was added on 12/3/96.
- A Mariner 10 image of the Earth & Moon,
was added on 11/22/96.
- A Near-Infrared Image of Europa,
taken by Galileo, was added on 11/21/96.
- Two maps of the Nucleus of Comet Halley were
added on 11/20/96.
- A new, digital, high-resolution photomosaic of Mariner 10's
Incoming View of Mercury has
replaced the old image. This is the best mosaic I have ever found
of Mercury. Many thanks goes to the
U.S. Geological Survey in Flagstaff, Arizona for creating this
image. I have created both low and high resolution versions
of this image.
- A page of Galileo Images of Io was
added on 11/14/96.
- A natural and false color image of Europa
taken by Galileo was added on 11/13/96.
- A Hubble rotation movie of
Neptune was added on 10/31/96.
- A Hubble image of Jupiter's Auroras was added to the
Jupiter page on 10/31/96.
- A page of Awards and Recognition has been
started for Views of the Solar System. (10/24/96)
- A false color image of Europa taken by
Galileo was added on 10/21/96.
- A galileo temperature map image of
was added on 9/27/96.
- Galileo images of Jupiter's red spot
were added on 8/22/96.
- Galileo computer simulation animations were added to
Ganymede on 8/22/96.
- A press release on "Jupiter's Europa Harbors Possible "Warm Ice" or Liquid Water" was added on 8/16/96.
- Two images taken by Galileo were added to the
Io page on 8/16/96.
- Some fantastic images of Europa taken by
Galileo were added on 8/14/96.
Life from Mars: Video Animations. (8/13/96)
- Find out about the latest discoveries on
Life from Mars. (8/9/96)
- Additional pages were translated to spanish. These include
El Descubrimiento de los Satélites
Galileanos, and Imágenes de Ganímedes
desde la sonda Galileo. (8/2/96)
- An image taken by Galileo was added to the Io
page on 7/22/96.
- Hot new images of Ganymede, taken by
Galileo, were added on 7/11/96.
- Added another image of Ganymede
was added on 7/9/96.
- An additional image of Ganymede,
taken by Voyager 1, was added on 7/8/96.
- Images from the SOHO spacecraft were added to the
Sun page on 7/2/96.
- I updated my Author page on 7/2/96.
- A page on The Discovery of the Galilean Satellites was
added on 6/17/96.
- An animation of Pluto was added on 5/31/96.
- Views of the Solar System has started to be translated to Spanish --
This version can be found at: Vistas del
Sistema Solar. (5/16/96)
- A press release on Galileo Finds Giant Iron
Core in Jupiter's Moon Io was added on 5/16/96.
- A page of Miscellaneous Comet Images,
submitted by the astronomy community, was added on 4/26/96.
- An image of the Aorounga impact crater in Chad was added to the
Terrestrial Impact Craters page on
- The discovery image of Jupiter's moon Leda
was added on 4/22/96.
- Numerous spacecraft mission summaries and updated chronology
of space exploration were added to the
History of Space Exploration. (4/12/96)
- A press release on Comet Hyakutake -
First X-Rays From a Comet Discovered was added on 4/5/96.
- An image of Comet Hyakutake was added to
the Comet page on 3/28/96.
- I am starting a new page on The Surface of Mars.
Right now it only includes images, but more will follow. (3/20/96)
- New Hubble Telescope images of Pluto, showing faint
surface features, were added on. (3/8/96)
- Asteroids Gaspra and Ida
were updated to include higher resolution images. (3/5/96)
- Additional images of Saturn were added on 2/28/96.
- Additional images of Triton were added on 2/27/96.
- Additional images of Uranus were added on 2/15/96.
- Additional images of Miranda, a moon of Uranus,
were added on 2/14/96.
- A press release on Galileo Probe Suggests Planetary Science Reappraisal was added on 1/24/96.
Solar System Home Page